What kind of Japanese cuisine would you like to try?
Many go for the routine food like Sushi, ‘Tempura, or Ra-men, but there are many other delicacies in Japan that foreigners are unaware of.
Recently the topic “What do Japanese want to treat foreigners most?” was discussed on a Japanese web forum, so today I’d like to introduce it along with some comment.
If you were in charge of some foreign guests for your company, what kind of food would you treat them?
①Had all sort of Japanese food from time to time
②Only had sushi before
③Fist time having Japanese food
Here’s some scenario to go with it.
- Common people food like beef bowl or prok cutlet bowl.
- Home made curry rise
But the kind you would think over.
- I heard American like grilled chicken. They like meat + sweet sauce.
So grilled chicken, sushi, Okonomiyaki.
- Pork cutlet bowl
Let them eat these and they’ll be brain wash
- Ice cream, Japan’s ice cream have way more kind compare to overseas
And they look delicious.
- In America even shaved ice is just crushed ice,
Let them have the Japanese style made with machine,
The texture is just so delicate.
- If it’s ② then try conveyor belt sushi
and they’ll be like “Fantastic!!” or like “Amaz~ing”
- Food in Asia take good.
I want to take foreigner who like tuna to Misaki, Kanagawa to have “tuna full course”.
- If we keep the tuna fair up, we’ll be running out of them fast
Let them have dried plums
- Once I ate at a conveyor belt sushi place, and a white girl ate around 10 plate of salmon and left.
She only had the salmon and nothing else.
- I understand only eating salmon.
I like sushi but I don’t like if I don’t know where the fish are from.
And, let them have Konjac gel.
It’s the best seafood, but the texture is just not good for them.
- Konjac in English is “Devil’s Tongue”
Lot of foreigner don’t eat it
- Scare the crap out of them and let them have the pufferfish.
There’s less resistance to eat raw egg though right.
- ①Kusaya(salted-dried fish) see if you can eat this
②Natto(soybeans fermented) see if you can eat this
③Sashimi only barbarian eat raw food?
- There’s lots of foreigner okay with raw egg.
I had a Chinese friend who was scared at first but then became a fan of raw egg with rice.
- Try “Japanese breakfast” from hotel or Japanese bed and breakfast.
Rice, miso soup, mackerels, natto, raw egg, seaweed.
- Don’t bring them to a high class place all of a sudden
While it’s nice to eat at a pretty place
When they’re done eating they’ll be all fustrated
And think “Why does this country’s food in courses”
Should be something you can eat with some volume.
- Try deep-fried kebab, with lots of flavor they should be happy
However, if they’re a glut you’ll be worried about how much they eat lol
- To American and European
Pork cutlet is good apparently.
For those who can’t eat prok, try chicken cutlet or something…
(But, make sure they fried with vegetable oil)
They really like it as they say.
Don’t take them to the super good place, just some place like Wako…or Hanakatsu.
Put some sauce on it, eat it fresh out of the fryer,
They just love it.
- If it’s American, let them have fruit.
To let them compare the difference between the Japanese peach, berry, pear
And let them take the delicious fruit
Or the Kyoho (grape), it smell so great.
- ② prok cutlet, curry, tempura, hotpot udon seem like good choices. It’s from a French of British decent.
① some of my coworker from China, Korean, Hong Kong like hotpot stuff.
And curry and pork cutlet are must have.
- I’ve attend to lot of American and European on my work,
They don’t like the slurping sound when eating noodle. But they like Yakisoba for some reason.
Shabu-shabu or hotpot seem popular, but they get sick of it soon.
For ladies they like thing with sesame sauce. Or giblets cooked in a hot pot because it’s rare.
But you can’t leave out beef bowl. Just a normal place will be good.
- Chinese food for Chinese
Curry for Indian
Pasta or pizza for Italian
Something like that, let them have the food from their country.
It’s flavor more toward the Japanese, so they can taste it in a different style?
- The Brazian will like the crab
I heard there’s no snow crab in Brazil
They’ll be speechless if they see the king crab
- For the European let them have the salmon chanchanyaki
Curry for Indian
Ramen and dumpling for Chinese
Spegetti for Italian
Hamburger for German
Croquette for French
Tempura for Portugueses
Meat stew for British
Mongolian mutton barbecue for Mongolian
Turkish rice for Turkish
MossBurger for American
But only for good looking white guy
Many comment mention pork cutlet(katudon) as one of the food foreigner must try.
Pork cutlet, a dish consist of rice and a piece of deep fried pork coated with bread powder and egg, is a very common yet delicious food with volume. It’s one thing everyone will suggest.
There are also comments like “Let then try the home country food Japanese style.”
Dishes that is arrange to fit with the Japanese tongue should take different from what it is in the origin country. In many case it may be a whole other dish.
You can enjoy the Japanese food culture through dishes of you origin country by tasting the difference in taste. So next time in Japan, don’t just stick to the traditional Japanese food, but try some oversea dishes as well, with a hint of Japanese taste in them!